Friday 30 March 2012

A blokey crochet hat!

I've struggled to come up with a crochet hat pattern that looks blokey. So many of the patterns for men's hats that I like are knitted. So I've taken inspiration from the traditional knit fisherman's rib pattern to come up with this crochet design. Mr seemed happy to model it (or perhaps that was the end of term / I'm now on holiday good mood).





I've used the Jo Sharp Aran Tweed and a 5mm hook. Without my model to try on the hat this afternoon I got a bit carried away with the length. So he has rolled it up to fit, which does actually make it look more like the old fisherman's rib hats. I might leave it this length. You will find that  the ridges don't form straight rows, but rather have a slight swirl to them.
So here is the very easy pattern.
  • I start my hats with a sliding loop, or you could try a chain of 6 stitches and join into a loop.
  • Chain 3 (counts as 1dc) - 10 dc into the ring - join. (11)
  • Chain 3 (counts as 1 dc) - fpdc in next  dc - (1dc in same dc - fpdc in next) - repeat around - join (22)
  • Chain 3 (counts as 1 dc) - 1dc in next dc - fpdc in next dc - (1dc in same dc  - 1dc in next dc - fpdc in next dc)  - repeat around - join (33)
  • Chain 3 (counts as 1 dc) - 1dc in next 2 dc - fpdc in next dc - (1dc in same dc - 1dc in next 2 dc - fpdc in next dc) - repeat around - join (44)
  • Chain 3 (counts as 1 dc) - (fpdc in next dc - 1 dc in same dc - skip 1 dc - fpdc in next dc) -  repeat around - join (44)
  • Chain 3 (counts as 1 dc) - 1 dc in next - fpdc in next dc - (1 dc in same dc - 1 dc in next - fpdc in next dc)  - repeat around - join (66)
  • Repeat last row until hat reaches desired size.
  • sc around last row and end off.
Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Midge, great looking hat and well as i have never crochet in my life and you did say easy.....
    Will let you know how i get on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Megan, your first published design - I'll make one this weekend hopefully and blog and link to it. Nice work - and happy school holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again - you should add this to Ravelry Megs. I think that lots of people would enjoy it! I can add it for you if that would be easier ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm popping from My Creative Space. Love the crocheted pillow you made. And am very intrigued with your trash can potatoes. I planted a sprouting spud in a small pot a few months ago and found a tiny potato when my cat toppled the whole pot over. I was so excited with one tiny potato and you uncovered a whole bunch. Very cool. Hope your weekend is great. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the model, you can see he's doing his best blue steel ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I love hearing from you, and appreciate your input.

Megan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...