Sunday 18 March 2012

Kosciusko Cushion

When we were in Kosciuszko National Park last weekend, I was looking at the colours of the bush, and was inspired to create a new cushion.


My yarn stash is a bit out of control, so I was fortunate enough to have enough 8ply pure wool on hand to give me the colours of the bush. More good luck than good management really.

The first side is made of a series of 4cm granny squares in solid colours. When I joined the squares together, I wasn't happy with the "gappy" corners, so solved the problem with a small cross stitched to pull the corners together.


I couldn't make up my mind for the back. I started off with a giant granny square of merging colours, before changing to a pattern of merging colours in a line. This was also a handy way to use up the odds and ends.


I wasn't completely happy with the way it looked and it was too big, so I decided to felt it. After one hot wash, along with a scrubbing brush and a pair of rubber thongs, I was really happy with the result. The orange and red yarns are a crape yarn and haven't felted, which has added an unexpected texture.

And the end result......







10 comments:

  1. Ooh Megan, did you whip that up during the week?
    I didn't realise.......my goodness your fingers must've been a blur working so fast, wow!!

    It is gorgeous and so nice that it was inspired by such beautiful scenery from your trip.

    Fun morning at the market wasn't it?

    Hope all goes well for you this week......... maybe some time to hook up some more beauties in the evenings..

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi , just popped over from Claire's. Love your latest cushion...it's similar to my latest make :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Midge, new to your blog via Claire's. Hope you had a great Market Day the first of many to come..........Love your cushions, especially the one you felted.........great colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about the way you created this cushion shows it up in a whole new light - it's the product of experimentation! It turned out really nicely! Beautiful colours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the back! The front is nice too but the back is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cushions is stunning ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, what a gorgeous cushion! So pretty, and such lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what wonderful colours and I love how you have pulled it all together.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I love hearing from you, and appreciate your input.

Megan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...