Tuesday 17 July 2012

Spring Is On The Way

Spring is on the way - Hooray! The weather has been so cold and miserable lately, that I've been dreaming of spring. Being a gardener my thoughts turned to the bulbs I've planted. So to remind myself of what was to come, I started flicking through bulb catalogues. I must have squirrelled away the colours in my mind, because the project I started that week has taken on the colours of my spring bulbs.

The blue of the muscari.
The purple of the crocus.
The orange of the jonquil trumpets.
The cream of the freesia.
The pink of the tritona.

I started making circles, not really knowing how I was going to join them together. They seemed too big to just join circle to circle. They needed to be edged, and then joined. So here is what I came up with. I never seem to be able to get the corners to join well, so I stitch a cross to pull the 4 corners together. This time it had the added benefit of giving a nice little "star" effect in each corner (totally unplanned).




I tend to make the backs of my cushions different to the front, and just merging the yarns is a great way to use up the left overs. This time round I haven't felted, so instead it is just a htr (or hdc if you're in the USA)


I'm note sure I want to sell this one. I've grown quite attached to it.

10 comments:

  1. I love this - you are WAY talented, Ms Megan! I really like the way that you do the backs too. And I love the way that you let things evolve. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great cushion Megan.........love the circles and the colours used, gorgeous.
    No wonder you want to hold onto it.......

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cushion Megan. Beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty cushion. It is for keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is really beautiful, I love the unplanned star pattern

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cushion is lovely. I love the blend of colours and the cross stitch is a terrific idea. What sort of wool did you use? it looks quite fine. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I've just used a mix of 8 plys from my stash.

      Delete
  7. Just love your cushion. I have been trying to turn circles into squares with little success as they seem to curl and not lay flat - even when I iron them. I tried to follow a french pattern but maybe my french isnt as good as I thought it was as my squares dont sit like the french one. Do you have any hints? Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol.I tend to make things up as I go, but hold tight and I'll post some tips in the next day or so. Might even get organised enough to put a pattern together too.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I love hearing from you, and appreciate your input.

Megan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...