I recently asked for advice on whether or not to felt the needle roll I had made. Given there was a mix of yarns in the piece, I wasn't sure how it would come out, but decided to take the risk anyway.
So glad I did. It's been interesting to see how the fibres react. Turns out Alpaca is great for felting.
I'm really happy with the way the two yarns in each row have merged together more in some, and less in others. I think it gives an interesting texture.
My technique may need some work though. I'm not sure if it actually helped, but I through a pair of thongs / flip flops and a scrubbing brush in with the hot wash, to help with the "distressing" of the fibres. Maybe it was just a way to get clean thongs!
I'm happy with the end result, so need to start thinking of the next project I can be let loose on.